I had such fun painting this card! I love images with space to get a bit creative. And when you have a person to colour, it’s a bit like dressing up when you were a child; you have total flexibility to choose colours and styles.
I’ve linked all supplies with compensated affiliate links used where possible at no cost to you.
Today is the turn of Art Impressions for their limited edition STAMPtember 2023 set. It has such a gorgeous autumn theme but a fun style, too!
how to draw attention to a focal point
Here are a few suggestions to draw attention to a focal point.
- Stamp the image off-centre. The rule of thirds suggests that a focal point should be placed at the intersection of a grid – top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left. Effectively, off-centre is supposed to be more appealing to the eye.
- When colouring, include some dark areas, particularly next to light areas. The eye is drawn to the contrast between shadows and highlights.
- Include white space – these areas don’t have to be white. They have to be calming so that the focal point is the star of the show. I did keep the rest of the card panel white, though, except for the hint of blue to suggest a sky.
- Nestle accents around the image to demonstrate that the focal point is where we should be looking. I dotted sequins, pearls and the sentiment panel, making a pleasing triangle around the image.
- I love colour, which may surprise you as I often go for a muted palette. However, colour plays a key part whether you like muted tones or rainbow brights. Complementary colours play well together. These are colours opposite each other on the colour wheel. In this case, I used a lot of green and red. The apples, naturally, but also her trousers and the stripes on her t-shirt.
So, there you have it, my take on a few tips to draw attention to a focal point. Don’t forget to check out the Art Impressions set, once it’s gone, it’s gone!
In previous years I have found it helpful to put a summary of the STAMPtember events for reference. I will try to take part as much as possible, but I’m still not at full speed and so I will pop in during the month as best I can. Here’s the calendar of events as it stands so far:
- 01 September Simon Says Stamp Own Brand release
- 02 September treasure hunt blog party
- 03 September Heidi’s birthday!
- 04 September Lawn Fawn – sold out
- 05 September Picket Fence Studios stamp set and stamp set with matching dies
- 06 September Gina K stamp set and stamp set with matching dies
- 07 September Art Impressions stamp set
You can find links to the supplies I’ve used below; click on the picture or shop icon to get taken directly to the product. Where available I use compensated affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! Items marked with an asterisk (*) provided by a store or the manufacturer. You can read my affiliate and product disclosure here. I genuinely appreciate your support.