I have a video to share today that I made for my Doodling With Debby series over at Simon Says Stamp. I love the new Light Me Up set and thought it would look so cute with flowers from the You Have My Heart set tumbling out the top of the jar. However, the thought of watercolouring a glass jar and watercolouring a glass light bulb too had me a little apprehensive, but I gave it a go and in the video I talk you through how I approached it. I’ve linked all supplies with compensated affiliate links used where possible at no cost to you.
Watch below or in HD on YouTube.
STEP BY STEP HOW TO
- On a piece of Fabriano Extra-White Cold-Pressed watercolour card, stamp the flower bouquet from the You Have My Heart set in Antique Linen Distress Ink.
- Follow up with the jar and light bulb from the Light Me Up set by selectively inking the images so that they don’t stamp over the flowers. Alternatively, mask the flowers so that you don’t have to worry about where the other elements stamp.
- Tape the watercolour card to a firm surface such as a craft mat, board etc. which will stop it warping when adding lots of water.
- Paint with watercolours – I used Daniel Smith paints. Keep in mind the colours and reflections in glass objects.
- Extend the flower image by painting leaves in a light tone so that they appear to be behind the main focal point.
- Stamp a greeting from the Light Me Up set in Versafine Clair Nocturne ink so that it overlaps the side of the jar.
- Splatter with Perfect Pearls, white gouache and left-over paint.
- Trim the watercoloured piece to be just smaller than a 5 x 7 card.
- Foam mount to a card base cut and scored from Neenah Desert Storm card in the sturdy 100lb weight.
You can find links to the supplies I’ve used below; click on the picture or shop icon to get taken directly to the product. Where available I use compensated affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! Items marked with an asterisk (*) provided by a store or the manufacturer. You can read my affiliate and product disclosure here. I genuinely appreciate your support.
Summary of the project which gives all the views of the card in one photo :D I’d love if you pinned and called by on Pinterest :D
You are so amazingly creative and talented. It’s a joy to watch your videos. Thank you so much for sharing your creations with us.❤️❤️❤️
This is one of the most beautiful cards I have seen. Your work is perfect. Now the only idea I have is that you must move to Montana and teach me to watercolor.