I have lots to share with you today, so grab a cup of tea and sit yourself down for a wee while! First off is a reminder that you can get this Cardinal die from Tim Holtz when purchasing any Tim Holtz brand product at Simon Says Stamp. I’ve seen this die used a few times now by Simon’s and Tim’s design teams and each and every time I have loved seeing the results! I didn’t bring anything new to the party with the Cardinal perched on a snowy branch, but I had so much inky fun making this card and I hope you’ll take a look at the video below to see just how inky I got! I’ve linked all supplies with compensated affiliate links used where possible at no cost to you.
SIMON SAYS STAMP JANUARY CARD KIT
Before I jump into the how-to section of making the Cardinal card, I wanted to share the new Simon Says Stamp January Card Kit with you. Each month I look forward to seeing what is in store with the kit and I am never disappointed! You can buy the kit as a one-off, subscription or you can buy many of the products in the kit individually – whatever suits you best.
- Simon Says Stamp Snowflake Season 6 x 8 stamp set
- Simon Says Stamp Filigree Snowflakes Embossing Folder
- Whimsy 6 x 6 Blurry Flurries custom paper pad
- Simon Says Stamp Unicorn Confetti Glitter
- Simon Says Stamp Eliza Snowflake Wafer Die
- Simon Says Stamp Glue
- Simon Says Stamp Holographic Silver Cardstock
- Simon Says Stamp Doll Pink Cardstock
- Simon Says Stamp Sea Glass Cardstock
- Simon Says Stamp Lavender Cardstock
- Simon Says Stamp White A2 Envelope
- Simon Says Stamp Doll Pink A2 Envelope
- Simon Says Stamp Metallic Sea Glass A2 Envelope
- Simon Says Stamp Holographic A2 Envelope
DISTRESS BACKGROUNDS FOR DIE-CUTTING
While supplies last, you can get this free Cardinal die from Tim Holtz when buying any Tim Holtz product at Simon Says Stamp!
- Tim Holtz Cardinal dies
- Simon Says Stamp Dainty Snowflake Dies
- Simon Says Stamp Christmas Foliage Dies
- Simon Says Stamp Large Falling Snow Slimline Stencil
- Tim Holtz Crackle Paste
- Tim Holtz Texture Paste
- Tim Holtz Rock Candy Distress Glitter
- Tim Holtz Mica Flakes
- Various Distress Inks, sprays and Distress Oxide sprays (see thumbnails at the bottom of this post)
STEP BY STEP HOW TO
- Using Tim Holtz watercolour card, create a Distress ink background using Barn Door, Candied Apple, Festive Berries and Walnut Stain Distress Inks. Splatter with watercolour paint and set aside to dry.
- Create another background piece with Tim Holtz watercolour card and Speckled Egg Distress Spray.
- Smear Tim Holtz Crackle Paste with a palette knife randomly over the blue background and leave to dry.
- Meanwhile die cut the Cardinal dies from the red background. Using a blender brush and Walnut Stain ink around the edges of the die cuts.
- Create small areas of colour for the face and beak of the bird using Black Soot and Dried Marigold Distress Inks and die cut the relevant dies, again using a brush and Walnut Stain ink around the edges.
- Die-cut the Dainty Snowflake die and the Christmas Foliage dies from watercolour card.
- Create another background, this time using Evergreen Bough and Rustic Wilderness Distress Oxide sprays and die cut the Christmas Foliage dies from it twice.
- Die-cut the berries from the Christmas Foliage dies twice from left-over red background pieces.
- Rub Ranger Multi Medium Matte over some of the green foliage and dip into Rock Candy Distress Glitter.
- Add Ranger Glossy Accents to the berries and holly leaves. Leave to dry.
- Swipe Matte Distress Texture Paste through the Large Falling Snow Slimline Stencil on the blue background and heat with a heat tool causing the paste to puff up into snowy flakes.
- Trim the blue panel to be just smaller than a Neenah Solar White A2 card base and attach with foam tape.
- Die cut the Decorated Branch die from Dark Chocolate card, and using scissors, trim the hearts and presents on strings to leave a delicate branch for the Cardinal to stand on.
- Arrange the die cut elements and keep in place with Ranger Multi Medium Matte.
- Adhere the die cut elements to the Cardinal with glue and the wing of the bird with a foam square. Add the bird to the snowy branches with foam squares.
- Take a Christmas Sticker and rub Walnut Stain around the edges. Add with foam squares.
- Dab Ranger Multi Medium Matte in places on the foliage and sprinkle with Mica Flakes.
- Embellish with white and clear sequins from the Mini Hearts pack.
- Add a glossy dot for the Cardinal’s eye.
You can find links to the supplies I’ve used below; click on the picture or shop icon to get taken directly to the product. Where available I use compensated affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! Items marked with an asterisk (*) provided by a store or the manufacturer. You can read my affiliate and product disclosure here. I genuinely appreciate your support.
Summary of the project which gives all the views of the card in one photo :D I’d love if you pinned and called by on Pinterest :D