I have been enjoying playing with supplies recently and exploring a little mixed media. I still tend to keep to a clean style; I’ve not ventured into full-on art journaling! However, I am having so much fun! A little while ago, I had a very messy play with some Distress Oxide sprays and made a few backgrounds that I tucked away for future use. Today was the day to pull out one of those backgrounds and make it into a card. I’ve linked all supplies with compensated affiliate links used where possible at no cost to you.
SIMPLE MIXED MEDIA
I was inspired by Yana Smakula to pull out my stencils and go for a textured background with the Nuvo expanding mousse – such a lovely effect! I paired the Distress Oxide Background piece and the Nuvo Expanding Mouse background with the following key ingredients.
- Simon Says Stamp Thank You Background
- Simon Says Stamp Work Of The Heart
- Simon Says Stamp Tumbling Leaves Stencil
- Nuvo Expanding Mousse
- Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Sprays
STEP BY STEP HOW TO
- On a piece of Neenah Solar White card, spritz Distress Oxide Sprays to create a fun background. Include Distress Resist Spray too if you have it for more effect. Splatter with Perfect Pearls solution.
- Leave to dry thoroughly. Stamp the Thank You Background over the top in black ink. Leave to dry thoroughly.
- On a piece of watercolour card (for texture) lay the Tumbling Leaves stencil over the card and swipe through Nuvo Expanding Mousse. Heat with a heat gun for lots of lovely texture.
- Trim the leaves background and foam mount on to a card base cut and scored from Fog card.
- Die-cut the Distress Oxide background with a circle die and foam mount onto the card, offset to the lower left.
- Stamp a thank you greeting from the Work Of The Heart set in Black in on Ivory card and soften the colour by blending Antique Linen Distress Ink around the edges.
- Die-cut the Leaf Branch Oval die from Fog card, trim the leaves from the oval and tuck behind the thank you greeting as you apply to the circle with foam tape.
- Embellish with a trio of Enamel Dots. I used old stash, but these look lovely.
I’m not sure how clearly you can see the Distress Oxide Spray/Distress Resist background on the circle. It is lovely in real life with an almost rusty look to it with the burnt oranges and teal blues. I am sure you are wondering what colours of Distress Oxide Spray I used and I have a confession to make, I can’t remember! I made this background a little while ago, and silly me didn’t think to write on the back what I’d used!
You can see that lovely texture from the Nuvo Expanding Mousse better in this photo.
You can find links to the supplies I’ve used below; click on the picture or shop icon to get taken directly to the product. Where available I use compensated affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! Items marked with an asterisk (*) provided by a store or the manufacturer. You can read my affiliate and product disclosure here. I genuinely appreciate your support.
Summary of the project which gives all the views of the card in one photo :D I’d love if you pinned and called by on Pinterest :D