Today I have another super simple card from my Easy Watercolour Background series. Is it number five by now or six? I just see patterns and fabrics that inspire me and translate those into card fronts! I’ve linked all supplies with compensated affiliate links used where possible at no cost to you.
EASY WATERCOLOUR BACKGROUND
- Paints – Daniel Smith watercolours
- Stamps – Simon Says Stamp Just Because Word Mix 2
- Dies – Picture Book Ice Cream Cone
STEP BY STEP HOW TO
- On a piece of watercolour card, paint stripes across the panel. Let the stripes touch in places to allow the colour to flow from one to another
- Stamp a greeting from the Just Because Word Mix 2 set in Versamark ink and heat emboss with Antique Gold embossing powder
- Die cut the sentiment with the matching die and foam mount over the painted panel
- Attach the panel with foam adhesive to a card base cut and scored from Fog card
- Embellish with pearls and Nuvo droplets in Bubblegum Blush and Love Potion
- From a leftover test swatch, die cut the Picture Book Ice Cream and from Ivory card the cone element of the dies
- Splatter with white gouache and then foam mount to a Nested Tag cut from Fog card
- Add a Just Because Word Mix 2 sentiment, string with twine and embellish with a pearl and Love Potion droplet
I wanted the watercolour lines to look organic, but equally, I didn’t want them wandering off at a wonk either. So to help my straight line challenges, I drew a rough grid for each row of stripes and it did help too. I must admit I rather like this card, I dot around in different styles, but more often than not come back to clean and simple. In the past, I have created a lovely background and then felt the need to add more … and more to make it into something well, more! However, when I resist that temptation, I usually prefer the pared-back version. I was going to add the ice cream cone die-cut over the watercoloured pattern and am so glad I popped it on its own tag instead.
A similar idea to today’s stripes are these which formed a background to the Pawsome Love critters. Indeed, a similar sentiment treatment using the Word Mix 2 die with the Love And Valentine’s Word Mix 2 set. You can find the original post here.
There’s a video with these cards where I used gouache and simple stripe patterns. You can find the original post here.
You can find links to the supplies I’ve used below; click on the picture or shop icon to get taken directly to the product. Where available I use compensated affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! Items marked with an asterisk (*) provided by a store or the manufacturer. You can read my affiliate and product disclosure here. I genuinely appreciate your support.
Summary of the project which gives all the views of the card in one photo :D I’d love if you pinned and called by on Pinterest :D