Today’s card is 90% about the stencils! I used the Christmas Gnome Home stencil from the latest Simon Says Stamp Card Kit along with the Falling Snow stencil. The remaining 10% is made up of a few snowflakes stamped in paint and I also white heat embossed a sentiment from the Gnome For The Holidays kit stamp set. I’ve linked all supplies at the end of this post. Compensated affiliate links used where possible at no cost to you.
To start this card, I used the Christmas Gnome Home stencil and with a pencil drew the outline, windows and door on Arches Cold-Pressed watercolour card. I also drew in a couple of wood beams, and these, along with my painting style, were inspired by the beautiful illustrations of Tonia Tkach. Using the stencil, I drew a trio of trees behind the cottage and then pencilled in areas for snow coverage. These areas I coated in Winsor & Newton Masking Fluid and left to dry before painting the scene with Daniel Smith Watercolours.
I then removed the masking fluid from the snowy areas and painted shadows to give dimension to the snow. With the scene now painted, I used a snowflake from the Gnome For The Holidays set and painted it before stamping onto the sky. This gives a lovely irregular look to the snowflakes. I then splattered the card liberally with white gouache. Once this was dry, I swiped Wendy Vecchi white embossing paste through the Falling Snow stencil, keeping clear of the cottage so as not to distract from the focal point too much. I love the texture and dimension the embossing paste adds.
I trimmed the panel down to fit on a 5×7 inch Neenah Desert Storm card, and here you can see why you should tape your watercolour card to board when painting. I painted this scene on a large piece of paper in the pad, and so my paper warped a little – always tape your card down. Lesson learnt!
For the sentiment, I took a simple Christmas greeting from the Gnome For The Holidays set and stamped it in clear embossing ink on Hot-Pressed card I’d painted with leftover paint, and then white heat embossed. I trimmed to a banner and added to the card with foam adhesive.
There’s a lot of fun ongoing at Simon Says Stamp this long weekend! For starters, if by the time this post goes live there are any left (hopefully you saw my social media notifications I sent out earlier in the day) Simon has the hugely popular Crafty Parcels back this year. These have a huge amount of product in them for a really reasonable price.
Not only that, there’s a rare 15% storewide discount on offer today! Use code BLF398 until 11.59pm ET.
There are big savings on a range of products too including lots of Tim Holtz products – oxide ink pads, sprays, my favourite mini snips … No discount code needed for these.
You can find links to the supplies I’ve used below; click on the picture or shop icon to get taken directly to the product. Where available I use compensated affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! Items marked with an asterisk (*) were provided by a store or the manufacturer. You can read my affiliate and product disclosure here. I genuinely appreciate your support.
Summary of the project which gives all the views of the card in one photo :D I’d love if you pinned and called by on Pinterest :D